Tuesday, 5 June 2012

First I bummed around Dubai for 9 months...

And then I got a job.

It has been months since my last entry in this blog, but I've been very busily employed for the last 3 of those months, so I dont feel too lazy or guilty about my absence.

After almost 9 months of beating my head against the brick wall that is dubai recruitment agencies, it turns out that all along I should have been asking Kate to arrange a job for me. My lovely wife asked about any free positions in a popular cafe chain, and the short story is that I am now on a full time contract with The Limetree Cafe & Kitchen, managing one of their 4 branches here in Dubai (the one in Al Quoz for those who are acquainted with this place).

Limetree has a very good reputation here with expats, since it is owned and operated by a pair of kiwi sisters who have a passion for good food. The carrot cake is their most famous product, and was the reason that Kate was even in the cafe to begin with. The main problem with having such a great image is that all the snobs and self important high rollers of Dubai are our regular customers, and expect to be treated like royalty. hey, some of our clients literally are royalty. The car park in front of the cafe looks like the Sydney Motor Show on a daily basis, and god help you if you take more than 5 minutes to make that decaf soy mochaccino with cinnamon sprinkle.

I moan, but deep down I have always loved retail and customer service. I get a kick out of managing staff, and sticking up for them when the bosses upstairs try and take advantage of them.

I'm not sure how long I'll stay in this new job. It feels good to be working again, but I wonder how long before I am itching to throw it in and hit the road again. Both Kate and I are wondering when or if the time will ever come that we are in a situation that we are comfortable committing to for very long time. I cant imagine living in the same place for more than a couple of years anymore. Not since I figured out how big the world is, and how little of it I've seen. And I turn 30 soon... VERY soon actually. When did I say it was OK for that to happen? Im not done with being an impetuous 20-something year old, wasting money traveling when I should be nurturing my career. Someone call births, deaths and marriages and tell them I've postponed my 30th until next year. or maybe the year after that.

Actually, I am really looking forward to my birthday weekend, since Kate has organised a nice little getaway for us. We are heading up the coast to a beachside resort located next to a big waterpark that we havent been to yet. Its going to be great. I just had to do the 'hey i got a job' blog post before my 'hey i just turned 30' blog post, since it would just feel wrong combining them.

right, I'd better get back to work!

//Brendan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment in our Guest Book. Comments, feedback, or general compliments about Brendan are all welcome.