Saturday, 14 April 2012

March (and April) Madness

I am going to keep this one short and sweet as I have uni work calling and there is only so long you can procrastinate reading the trillion pages of readings waiting for you (at least the washing is done, the dishes clean, vacuuming finished, can't think of anything else to procrastinate with at the moment).

Brendan's job is going really well. He is working long hours at the moment because it is their busy season, but hopefully that will settle down soon and he can go back to working 5 days a week. Despite the exhaustion, he seems to be enjoying it and making some really positive changes around the place (although I may need to put a ban on him bringing 'leftovers' home as the cake they sell is just too delicious to be anything but calorie overload). Mum has had the carrot cake and can attest to its amazingness!!   My job is also motoring along - I can't believe I have almost been there for a year! I am getting involved on a whole lot of different projects which is great exposure.

In March I headed down to Abu Dhabi with a friend of mine from work and we saw Elton John live. I am sure we all have a list of artists/bands that we would love to see before they quit performing and while I will never get to see Michael Jackson or the Beatles, I can certainly tick Elton off the list now. It was an outdoor concert and we had general admission tickets to the standing area. I was pleasantly surprised at how close to the stage that got us and it was a great concert. While it lacked the stage energy of other concerts I have been to, the crowd certainly didn't and when Benny and Jets and Crocodile Rock came on we were all bopping around having fun. Well played Elton, well played!

My (29th!) birthday has come and gone and to soften the blow of entering into my final year as a twenty year old, Brendan spoiled me absolutely rotten. The Nespresso coffee machine is a life changer...best coffees and milk froth ever!!! oh, and the ipad 3 and foot spa aren't half bad! I think I got my birthday, easter, christmas and next years birthday presents all in one. We also went out for an amazing dinner on the friday night. It is a fairly new restaurant in Dubai which has two young chefs who have taken over from what used to be the Gordan Ramsay restaurant in one of the many Hilton Hotels in Dubai. The food was really creative, but not in a "is that all i get" kinda way but in a wow, how do those flavours work together? They also had this fairly young South African guy as their Sommelier who spent a lot of time talking to us and pairing some really nice wines to the food. Was a great night out and something a little different to the normal establishments Brendan and I like to frequent where tablecloths and silver cutlery are unknown!

To round of this post, last night a last minute call saw us nab some of the last ticks to go to the Redbull Motocross in Dubai. They actually set up a temporary stadium on Dubai Beach just 100 metres down from our apartment so being able to walk to a major event was pretty cool. I didn't really know much about this kind of "sport" (sport/stupidity/craziness) but we thought we should check it out. It was pure craziness. Who thought, yep, what a good idea to ride motorbikes, fly through the air, oh and let's do somersaults and let go of the damn bike before landing not holding the handle bars....what could go wrong? I guess someone has to keep the medical profession busy! I have to take my hat off to these guys - they were certainly hard core and very entertaining. However, when you see one of them heavily limping to their bikes you kinda think, well, what did you think was going to happen genius?



On that note, back to study for me.

Hope you had a safe and relaxing easter and love to you all.

 //Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment in our Guest Book. Comments, feedback, or general compliments about Brendan are all welcome.