Happy New Year! oh wait, its been longer than that... Merry Christmas! anyway, I hope everyone had a pleasant christmas and new year 2011... and a relaxing january 2012.
Over the last month and a half we have had a fairly consistent stream of friends and family come over visit us and see what this crazy place is all about. Dubai is more or less located in the 'middle of the world' when you consider the flying time between here and anywhere else. It's a very accessible place to use as a stopover, and there is plenty to see here other than myself and Kate. It's just one of those places, that is unlike anywhere else, but in a good way, so everyone wants to see it at least once. Considering all of that, it is basically the exact opposite of Korea.
I have enjoyed showing our guests around the fun spots of town. A day shopping at the malls, a day slogging through the old part of town, a night dining out on some local fish, and a bunch of other fun activities have been the norm for us recently. Our generally quiet social calendar has been full to the brim with fun things to do, and the best thing about it is that we have had a chance to do those things with our friends.
The best thing about non stop visitors is that it became easy to convince ourselves that it was time to do some fun, touristy things around Dubai. We went to the top of the Burj Khalifa for the first time with Kate's parents. We went to a big hotel called Bab Al-Shams to have dinner and watch a traditional arabic performance. Kate and I probably still would not have been able to justify the expense of dining at some of the spots we have been to in January, such as Pier Chic, which is a particularly lavish restaurant next door to the Burj Al-Arab; but since we have had guests, we have been there twice in the last fortnight.
I think that's the only 'down side' to having so many guests so close together. I worry that we don't appreciate each event quite as much, since our senses are still overwhelmed by the last great thing we ate or did. Darn these first-world problems eh? We still enjoyed each outing, and each meal, but I think having these things as one-off treats helps me to get more out of them, instead of doing all of them in such a short space of time, or repeating the same activities a number of times with different groups of people. I feel like I could go into business as a private tour guide around Dubai, since I know the whole city like the back of my hand now.
It was lonely in Korea at times, since we were so far off the beaten track, and in the middle of nowhere, in a country that not many people care to see. I can't blame anyone for not making Korea their holiday destination while we were there. Believe me, I'm never going back there. But now we are in a spot which is a much more attractive holiday option, and it's been excellent to see our friends and family, and actually have them stay with us for once.
But now that the holiday season is almost through, I think Kate and I will be having a very quiet, cheap and healthy next few months. Time to catch up on some TV, eat some salad, and sit around in not-quite-enough clothing. Oh yeah.
//Brendan
No comments:
Post a Comment