Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Korea may have frozen over, but there is stil fun to be had around here...

Happy Australia Day everyone! In fact... Happy New Year too, since we haven't been updating this thing much recently. Mainly because it's just too cold to do much here right now.

Having said that, we just got back from a weekend in Gohan, where Kate went sledding with a few mates, and I FINALLY got the hang of snowboarding! I was still almost paralysed the following day thanks to my muscles being so stiff, but now I can't wait to go back!

One of the reasons we went back to the slopes of Gohan was because our friend Paul, from Hong Kong, came to visit us, along with his friend Tom; so we wanted to show them what Korea had on offer in the middle of winter. They were not disappointed.

We also showed them our humble town of Juk Byeon while they were here, including a tour of the harbour where there were tonnes of snow crabs being sold at the time. We bought 3 of the buggers to boil alive back in our apartment, and I have to say, Uljin Snow Crab is EASILY the best crab I have ever eaten in my entire life. The fact that their shells are as soft as paper makes them a breeze to pull apart too. I think we will be making another visit to the harbour very soon...

The other thing probably worth mentioning here is that Kate and I have just finished our respective 'winter camps' at each of our schools. The winter camp, just like the summer camp, is just a week or two of English classes for kids who cant get enough of English (or for kids whose parents have had enough of them). The classes have no set format, other than the general expectation that they will be a little more relaxed and fun that regular classes. I got my kids to make curried egg sandwiches, play monopoly, watch English movies with korean subtitles, and generally just relax. I think they all really enjoyed it too.

This Saturday Kate and I are heading to the Philippines for the start of our vacation. We spend 2 weeks there, hopefully doing a bunch of scuba diving, and then we fly to sunny Sydney for another 2 weeks where we will have a chance to soak up some of the hot weather that everyone back home keep whinging about. Ill gladly trade my frostbite for sunburn anyday.

Till then!
//Brendan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment in our Guest Book. Comments, feedback, or general compliments about Brendan are all welcome.